Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cello's donuts and dips DAVAO--the complete dozen

Last wednesday, i visited Cello's Donuts and Dips. It is located along Gov Sales Street, in front of Chimes.

I met one of the part-owners of the place, and i interviewed him a bit. I wanted to cover the store for a newspaper article.

I got really excited, because this was, in my opinion, the only REAL donut shop in Davao City. When you walk in the door, you realize that the air is filled with the smell of dough, sugar, chocolate, cinnamon, and even durian (they were experimenting on a durian donut for this branch). If heaven had a smell, i imagine it would smell like this.

The owner, Bel, was very nice and even paid the 6 pesos i lacked (long story. they didnt have change, the cashier asked me for 6 pesos...i didnt have any...blah blah blah), and offered to buy me two more donuts: their specialty--Oreo and Cheese.

Unfortunately, I had already ordered two donuts you see below: M&Ms and Cinammon, and my tummy couldnt take any more donuts.
the M&Ms donut was not as sweet as i expected it to be, which is good for most people, but bad for me. I like everything to be extra-sweet. good thing they have dips! but, il tell you more about that later.

I LOVED their cinnamon donuts. They didnt taste sugary like other cinnamon products; they really tasted like cinnamon.I loved it sooooooo much. Usually, i do not give out compliments, just isnt a habit i formed, but after having a bite of this, i just had to tell Bel how good it was.

After two days, i convinced mom to buy some donuts, so she sent me to cello's since i was raving about it the whole day. I brought home a dozen (300 pesos) plus a toblerone dip


we had (from the top left) Oreo, Cheese (with caramel filling), dark Chocolate something (i think. which is a premium donut, but is priced the same as the regular ones. again, not sure about this), Cinnamon crunch, M&Ms and cinnamon. We also had the classic cheese but its not in the picture

once i opened the box, my brothers instantly took their picks, as they reserved the flavors that they thought would suit their fancy. everybody was happy with their picks, and we all enjoyed the freshly made donuts.

Somehow it made me realize, these donuts are not your ordinary pasalubong donuts. these donuts make you feel a bit proud that you've brought home a special treat for the family. and though the donuts were gone in a couple of minutes, the satisfaction it brought to our tummies and foodie souls seemed to last for an eternity...or at least for our next donut craving.
the dough is lovely, moist and sweet, but not too sweet. i love it when its warm, i love it when its stale, i love when it just came out of the fridge, i love it when it just came out of the toaster.



these are my top three picks: classic cheese, oreo and cinnamon!
plus i bought a toblerone dip. this small cup costs 50 pesos, but it is made of pure toblerone! No extenders whatsoever.
thats my mommy, dipping her oreo donut in the toblerone dip
and thats my hand enjoying toblerone and the cinnamon crunch donut

All these donut-y pictures were taken with my sony cybershot w290! thank you sony!

1 comment: